With safety always top of mind, ice fishing is a popular winter activity in Wisconsin. There are dozens of inland lakes in Kenosha County that freeze when weather conditions are right, offering perfect ice fishing conditions. Among the most popular fishing lakes are the 500-plus acre Silver Lake, and Lake Mary and Lake Elizabeth, known as the “Twin Lakes.” Powers Lake is also a favorite all-season fishing lake, with more than 450 acres of clear water and pristine ice conditions in winter. The Fox River in western Kenosha County is another admired fishing spot.
Note: the Wisconsin DNR does not monitor ice conditions, or the thickness of the ice so be sure to check ice conditions. Anglers should proceed at their own risk as conditions can change rapidly. No ice is 100% safe.
Did You Know?
- Fishing licenses and a live bait machine are available at Lou Perrine's Gas and Groceries, 52nd Street and Sheridan Road.
- The first-time buyer license is available to those who haven't fished in Wisconsin before or want to return to fishing after some time away.
- A one-day fishing license is available.
- Free Fishing Weekends are always held the third full weekend in January and the first full weekend in June.
- Need a Fishing License or additional information? Contact the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.