One of Kenosha's favorite music events returns with a powerful mix of New Orleans style Jazz, straight ahead Jazz and true hometown Chicago Style Blues. The Snap-on stage will feature the encore performance of the energetic, Grammy award winning Rebirth Brass Band, Chicago based NuBlu Band, the Ivy Ford Band from Waukegan and of course local favorite the Kenosha Jazz All-Stars Tribute Band.
Schedule (times subject to change):
- 1:30 p.m. at the on-site Gateway Culinary Arts Cooking Studio: Join Chef Bonanno and special guest Chef Pierre Tyson at the cooking demonstration and learn how to prepare Jerk and Barbecue Chicken with savory wet marinade and dry rub spices, topped off with a medley of grilled fruit.
- 3 p.m.: Kenosha Jazz All-Stars Tribute Band. The Kenosha Jazz All-Stars Tribute band will return for an encore performance. Ken Wiele founded the Kenosha Jazz All-Stars in 2011 to provide a summer jazz experience for exemplary students. He has served as the director of the All-Stars program since its inception. The Jazz All-Stars are made up of some of the finest school jazz musicians and several KUSD alumni, who serve as instructors throughout the summer in the Kenosha Unified School District. The band performs a broad range of big band repertoire including music from jazz legends like Count Basie, Les Hooper, Matt Harris, Bob Mintzer, Gordon Goodwin and Wynton Marsalis.
- 4:15 p.m.: The Ivy Ford Band. “Miss Ivy Ford brings a new refreshing yet classic face to the blues. At just 23 Ford has gone leaps and bounds in both her individual career and in the preservation of the art of entertainment and live music. Opening for Buddy Guy and playing alongside current blues greats such as Toronzo Cannon, she fronts her own bands and handles her cherry red, Epiphone-339 in such a way to make anyone tune in to what she has to say. Ford proves that you can respect and present the roots and seasoning of the blues, while putting it into a sassy, empowering, heel struttin’, red lipstick wearing package!”
- 5:45 p.m.: NuBlu Band. This high energy group pairs a tight rhythm section led by Mark Maddox on lead guitar and Dan Henley on drums, with the powerful vocals of Carlise Guy, the dynamic daughter of the Legendary seven-time Grammy award winner, Buddy Guy. The three are the foundation of the band. They perform a wide range of genres, Blues, R&B, Pop, and Motown, their soulful sound is enough to make any audience get up and dance. It’s always a party when NuBlu is on stage. They’ve performed across the country and around the world, from huge outdoor festivals in Brazil, Florida, Ohio, & Illinois to intimate nightclubs in Chicago.
- 7:30 p.m.: Grammy-award winning Rebirth Brass Band. Formed in 1983 by the Frazier brothers, the band has evolved from playing the streets of the French Quarter to playing festivals and stages all over the world. While committed to upholding the tradition of brass bands, they have also extended themselves into the realms of funk and hip-hop to create their signature sound. “Rebirth can be precise whenever it wants to,” says The New York Times, “but it’s more like a party than a machine. It’s a working model of the New Orleans musical ethos: as long as everybody knows what they’re doing, anyone can cut loose.” In the wake of the sometimes stringent competition among New Orleans brass bands, Rebirth is the undisputed leader of the pack, and they show no signs of slowing down.
General admission lawn seats are $25 in advance or $35 at the gate. Texas Roadhouse VIP Lounge tickets are $85 each (includes concert ticket, food, complimentary beer and wine). Ticket outlets: Kenosha Community Foundation (600 52nd St #110), Tenuta’s Deli (3203 52nd St.), Andrea’s (2401 60th St.), and Brat Stop Cheese Mart (12304 75th St.). You can also purchase tickets at the listed website.
The HarborPark Jazz, Rhythm and Blues festival is produced by the volunteer efforts of the Mary Lou & Arthur F Mahone Fund, a non-profit organization. We DO NOT encourage alcoholic carry-ins and ask that patrons continue to support our efforts by purchasing premium wine and beer from our beverage garden. All proceeds benefit our Career Exploration Organization scholarship program. The mission of the Mahone Fund is to provide educational opportunities for economically and academically deserving youth and to support healthy lifestyle initiatives in communities of color.
This takes place at Celebration Place in HarborPark, and is a rain or shine event.